How do I obtain salvation and go to heaven? Who is Jesus? Why do I need a Savior at all?
The Good News:
- God loves each and every one of us SO much, that He sacrificed everything in order to save us!
- “For God so loved the world, that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life” John 3:16
- God is perfect and holy and we are not. We may be “good people”, but all of us have done something less-than-perfect or wrong in our lives. This is what we call “sin”, which is a roadblock to being in the presence of the Lord.
- Because sin is imperfect, it separated us from God’s Holiness, even though He loves us. Because God is fair (He has to be a fair judge or He wouldn’t be perfect), some type of price had to be paid for that sin in order for us to come into His presence.
- “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” Romans 3:23
The Great News
- Jesus is the son of God. He lived a life with no sin and then died on the cross to pay that penalty for our sins. Even while we were still sinners.
- God sent His son, Jesus to come to the earth to pay the price/penalty for our sins. The price for sin is death – eternal separation from God. But because Jesus paid that price, if we accept His gift of salvation, we can spend eternity with the Lord. It’s a free gift!
- “The wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
- Jesus rose from the dead and now lives in heaven with His Father. If we accept him as our Lord and Savior, we will reside for all eternity in heaven.
- “I am the way, the truth and the life. No man comes to the Father but by me.” John 14:6
The BEST News
- You get to make the choice. You can ask Jesus Christ to forgive your sins and invite Him to come into your life to be the center of it….to be your Lord and your Savior. God didn’t create us as robots. He wants us to come to Him as His child…He is our Father. But He gives us the choice.
- “For what will profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?” Mark 8:36,37
- If you are saved through Jesus, you are now “born again.” You are then considered a new creation. Your sins are removed from you and you are forgiven!
- “Therefore, if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.” 2 Corinthians 5:17
- If you believe in your heart that Jesus is Lord and that He came to die for your sins, that He rose again on the 3rd day, and you truly wish to repent from those sins…..that is, to turn the other direction and turn towards Jesus, you can ask Him to come into your heart and your life and be Your Savior.
- This does not mean you will never again sin in your life. But it does mean a true desire to turn from it and realize that only Jesus can cover all of our sins.
- It is very important to know that you are not saved by your works, but by faith in Christ Jesus and what He did for us. Good works should follow as you grow closer in your relationship with God, but that is not what justifies you of your sins. Only Jesus’ sacrifice can do that!
- If you wish to accept Jesus Christ as your Savior, please use the following prayer as a guide. But remember to say it within your own heart and in your own words.
“Lord Jesus, I truly believe with all my heart that you are the Son of God and that you died on the cross for me and rose again on the 3rd day. I believe that the sacrifice you made covers my sin. I know I cannot earn my way to heaven and that only You can give me eternal life. I am so thankful for what you did for me – for dying on the cross for my sin. Please forgive my sins and give me the gift of eternal life with you. I ask you to be the Lord of my life, to be my Savior. I want to serve You always. In Jesus’ Precious Name, Amen.”
If you just said this prayer from your heart, I welcome you to the family of God! May the Lord bless you and keep you as you continue to grow in your relationship with Him.
- Start developing and growing in your relationship with Jesus now. Spend time with Him in God’s Word (the Bible) daily. I highly recommend the New King James Version. The book of John in the New Testament is a wonderful place to start! Spend time in prayer with Him….just talk to Him like you would a Father, or a best friend. That personal relationship is what God so desires from us, His children. You will find yourself starting to change your way of thinking. Find a good bible-teaching evangelical church. It will become very important for you to surround yourself with other Christians too who can support you and help you as you grow. The best thing we can do once we are born again, is to start seeking that personal time with our Lord. He will guide us and lead us…He will protect us and support us. Most of all, He will continue to love us and give us the love we need to share His gospel and this great news with others!
“Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God!….Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like HIm, for we shall see Him as HE is. And everyone who has this hope in HIm purifies himself, just as He is pure.” 1 John 3:1-3